- What country did this story take place in?
The city of Krakow is in Poland.
- Why does someone have to play the trumpet every morning?
- To open the church tower.
- To welcome people to the city.
- To make people get up and dance.
- To wake the people of Krakow.
The trumpet is played to wake the people of Krakow.
- Why was the tune played 4 times every morning?
- The trumpeter did not know any other tunes.
- It was played once for each trumpeter.
- So that people in all directions could hear it.
- There are 4 different rooms in the tower.
The tune was played 4 times so that people in all directions (north, east, south and west) could hear it.
- What does the boy think the dust cloud in the distance might be?
- A group of warriors.
- Some horses.
- Attackers escaping the city.
- Killer bees.
The boy thinks that the dust cloud might be a group of Tatar warriors.
- How did the boy play his trumpet after he saw the dust cloud?
- Now and then.
- Big and great.
- Later and later.
- Louder and faster.
The boy played his trumpet louder and faster.
- What did the people of Krakow do after they heard the trumpeter?
- They welcomed the invaders into the city.
- They got prepared to defend the city.
- They ran faster and faster.
- They played the trumpet.
The people of Krakow got prepared to defend the city.
- What killed the boy playing the trumpet?
- A bullet from a gun.
- A laser.
- A lightning bolt.
- An arrow.
A Tatar warrior shot an arrow from his bow and killed the boy.
- How many times is the tune played every hour today?
- 4 times.
- 24 times.
- 96 times.
The tune is played four times every hour today.
- Why do you think the tune stops suddenly every time it is played?
- The trumpeter does not know the tune.
- To remember the boy who was killed.
- The people of Krakow are already awake.
- The don't want to listen to the tune.
The tune stops suddenly every time it is played to remember the boy who was killed.
- Which of these sentences best describes this story?
- In Krakow the church tower is very special.
- The boy only knew one tune that he played louder and louder.
- The Tatar invaders killed the trumpeter and attacked the tower.
- People still remember the brave boy who saved Krakow.
People still remember the brave boy who saved Krakow.