The Shard is a new skyscraper that is located on the edge of the River Thames in London. It is a very tall building - right now it is the tallest building in Europe. The Shard was completed in July 2012 and next year you will be able to visit the observation deck at the top of the building.
The Shard - behind HMS Belfast
Here are 10 interesting facts and figures about The Shard building in London.
1. The word shard means a broken piece of glass or metal that has sharp edges. Do you think The Shard building looks like a shard of glass?
2. The Shard is 309.6 metres high. The Shard is 6 metres higher than the Bayoke Tower 2 in Bangkok but an amazing 518 metres shorter than the tallest building in the world! Do you know where the tallest building in the world is?
3. The architect who designed The Shard is Italian Renzo Piano. Renzo Piano also designed The New York Times building and Kansai International Airport (an airport on an artificial island) in Osaka, Japan.
4. Floors 53 - 65 will have apartments that people will be able to buy. They will be the highest apartments in the UK and will probably cost over 4 millions pounds each! Would you like to buy one?
5. From February 2013 you'll be able to visit the observation deck on the 72nd floor. Tickets will cost about £25.
6. There will be a Shangri-La hotel and spa on floors 34-52.
7. On the 1st of July a window cleaner had to be rescued from the 72nd floor after his platform started swinging dangerously in the wind. Would you like to clean the windows of The Shard?
8. The Shard was officially opened on the 5th of July by the Prime Minister of Qatar and Prince Andrew. The ceremony featured a huge laser show.
9. There are 11000 clear blue panes of glass on The Shard. Enough to keep a window cleaner very busy!
10. By the end of 2012 The Shard will no longer be the tallest building in Europe. A new building in Moscow, Russia, will be completed. The Mercury City Tower will be 332 metres high!
What is the highest building in your country?
What is the highest building that you've ever seen or been inside?
1- I think it looks like a triangle of glass. It is beautiful!!! 2 - No I don't know where it is... 4 - I cannot buy it.... 7 - No really I don't.... :) I don't know where is the highest building in my country but there are some in the big city. I don't really like to be in a high building and I never see a building like The Shard...
It is an amazing looking building. Why wouldn't you like to clean the windows?
The highest building in Canada is in Toronto. It is called the First Canadian Place. It's a bank. :)
Sorry, I think I will have to learn about my country. :) This afternoon I find in the Internet that the CN Tower in Toronto was the world tallest frestanding structure from 1975 to 2007 but I don't find for the First Canadian Place, the bank... Thank you !!! I also find that Saint Joseph's Oratory is the tallest church in Canada. It is great to learn about this... So thank you Teacher Jamie. I will not climb so high, I cannot climb so high... really... The Shard is very special and Wow....
Ah, I forgot about the CN Tower. A very famous building! It's over 500 metres high.
The Burj Khalifa is Dubai is correct. It's so tall, it's quite incredible.
What is the Wisma 46 building used for? It's a very nice looking building.
I've been to KL and seen the Petronas Towers, but I've not been up them. I went up the other high building in KL, the KL Tower. It has a nice restaurant and bar at the top - and gives you good views of the Petronas Towers. I would be interested to know what the viewing platform is like in Petronas Towers... I hope you can visit.
1) The shard really looks like a regular glass piece. It is also like a slender reaching for the sky - a slender with the grate vitality.
2) I haven't known the answer until I searched it on google. Burj Khalifa is extremely beautiful.
4) @@! It is over my ability :)
7) :D No, I don't. It is a dangerous job.
Keangnam Landmark tower in Hanoi is the highest building in my country. It is 346 meters high, includes 72 floors. It consists of a commercial center, offices for leave, 7 stars hotel and apartments. Keangnam - a Korean company investigated to construct it.
What does it look like?
On the 7th May, the smoke rised from the top of the building, fortunately no damage to any person.
The tallest building I have seen in my country is Bitexco Financial Tower in Ho Chi Minh city. It is shaped as a lotus. Its height is 262 meters. The building is like a compass for me. Everywhere I go (not too far from Bitexco), I see it and I know the direct leading to my home :)
The Shard does look slender.
Keangnam Landmark tower is a very impressive building. Is it new? It's much taller than The Shard.
I have seen the financial tower in Ho Chi Minh. You are lucky to have this building as a guide home!
Is it possible to visit the top of the building? Is there an observation deck? Does this building have a helicopter landing pad? Have you ever seen a helicopter land?
Yes, it is. Keangnam Vina company hold an inauguration for it on 18th May 2012. It also has an observatory - Sky 72 for people watching overview of Hanoi.
We can visit Financial Tower and it has an observaty for us to watching Ho Chi Minh city. Sightseeing fee is 200,000 VND - about 10 dollar.
Yes, there is. The petal of the lotus is the helicopter landing pad. I haven't ever seen a helicopter land. :)