The potato is an important part of the diet in many countries. In England we eat potatoes as part of many different meals. We also have a couple of slang words for potatoes - spuds and taters.
A classic - baked potato with butter!
There are many different ways to cook and eat a potato! Let's take a look.
Jacket potatoes can be served with a variety of fillings. Some popular fillings include cheese, baked beans, chilli con carne, tuna or just butter.
In America things are a little different. Americans just call chips "French fries" or "fries". What we call crisps Americans call chips. Confused? A chip is hot in the UK and cold in America.
1. Which idiom for a lazy person features a potato?
2. What is the slang for mashed potato served with sausages?
3. Which alcoholic drink can be made with potatoes?
4. Which type of cooked potato do British people usually eat with fish?
5. Which country produces the most potatoes today?
Talk about potatoes
1. What is your favourite type of potato?
2. Can you cook potatoes?
3. Which is the most popular type of potato in your country?
4. How many times do you eat potato in an average month?
5. What is your favourite jacket potato filling?
Finally, a little song about potatoes. Have you heard this before? Sing along!
1 - It is a couch potato. 2 - I don't know the answer. 3 - I don't know the answer. 4 - I don't know the answer. 5 - I also don't know the answer. 1 - I like the wedges potatoes. 2 - I can cook potatoes but I am not a good cook. 3 - I don't know. 4 - I don't eat potatoes often but I eat potatoes each time I go visit my family. They eat potatoes each days, but I don't. 5 - I never eat this kind of potato. As you can see I don't know a lot of things about potatoes but I know very well the couch potato. :) I never heard this song before but she is very nice... All this discussions make me want to eat potatoes boiled in water, so I will eat potatoes with cod today. I love it....
Couch potato is correct! I like potato wedges too. We often have them covered in cheese or with a nice dip in Europe.
How was your meal? Were the potatoes delicious?
My meal was good. I covered my wedge with ketchup.... or nothing on it. :) I also like potato salad.
I'm really impressed by the use of potato. I like the video, the lyrics are so cute! Baked potato with butter and potato croquetts look very delicious.
1) I looked up the big list of idioms to find it but I didn't find any idiom featuring a potato. However I'm sure that I used to learn an idiom or slang from FE concerning with potato but I can't remember what exactly it is. Therefore I looked up the big list of slang and I found 'couch potato' - a slang for someone lazy.
2) I don't know but I guessed it is "mash and sausage". =))
3) My guess: potato alcohol.
4) I guess it is mash.
5) I guess that is China.
Talk about potatoes.
1) I never eat baked potatoes but I think I like it most because I like eating baked batata.
2) I never do it but I think I can bake potato because I can bake batata. :D
3) In my country we often cook potatoes with stewed bones. It is very delicious, potatoes are fleshy.
4) When I was home, I eat potatoes twice a month but from I went to Ho Chi Minh city I never eat potatoes.
5) uhm! I think I love eating jacket potato filling nothing. :)
I guess couch potato can be classed as slang or an idiom. Sorry for making that question confusing!
You are nearly right with number 2. However we also have a slang word for sausages. ******** and mash! Think about the noise a sausage makes when you fry it in the frying pan! Well done on question 5. China is correct. A very good guess. :)
What is batata? Is it similar to a potato? That dish looks delicious. It looks almost like a kind of stew. We also cook potatoes in a stew. It's very similar, however we also have gravy in the dish.
Ahhh, we call this sweet potato in English.
thanks for your information teacher :)
Yes, sweet potato, I like them too, they are orange inside...and a kind of brown outside...We can buy them here one by one...
In my country, there are many kinds of sweet potatoes: white sweet potato, orange sweet potato, violet sweet potato, yellow sweet potato. Have you tried them?
This stewed bones looks delicious...
You can use Google if you wish! The questions are just a bit of fun.
Have you planted your potatoes yet?