Emeli Sandé - Next To Me
Emeli Sandé is a Scottish singer and songwriter. Emeli has had 2 number one songs in the UK charts - Read All About It and this song, Next To Me. If you watched some of the Olympics in London you may have seen at performing at the Opening and Closing ceremonies!
Next To Me was released in 2012. Emeli is singing about someone (or something) being next to her, by her side, at all times. Let's take a look at some of the lyrics from this song.
Who do you think Emeli is singing about? A partner, friend or something else?
There are some nice phrases in this song. What do you think Emeli means when she sings these lyrics?
1. You won't find him drinking under tables, rolling dice or staying out (un)til 3...
2. When the skies are grey and all the doors are closing, and the rising pressure makes it hard to breathe...
3. When we've spoilt the land and dried up all the sea...
Wow! She has a gorgeous voice... I don't think she is talking about a partner or a friend... It is really difficult to answer ... It is a wonderful song, it look like a kind of song coming from the inside of the heart... to someone special... someone who is always with her in her heart... I dont really know the answer and I don't know how to explain it, but it is a touching song...a song of hope...
I agree, she does have a beautiful voice. Emeli has only had chart success recently. I think there will be a lot more to come from her!
At the beginning of the song it seems that she is singing about a friend. Towards the end I am not so sure. It may be something more than that. A song of hope - yes, you are right. :)
Thanks! She will be a big star with this voice. Have a nice weekend! :)
Thank you. Have a great one too Coco!
Had you ever heard this song or singer before?
Emeli does seem to be singing about her partner in these examples. She does mention the common sins of the unfaithful partner! ...she also implies that when she's in the lowest time in her life, she'll find him - I like this statement. Very well said!
1. You are correct. Drinking under tables would probably imply somebody has drunk quite a lot of alcohol!
2. The rising pressure could suggest that life is getting more difficult, times are hard.
3. Being greedy is probably correct - perhaps humanity is being greedy and using up all of our natural resources?