Can you name the country using the clues below?
What country does this precious stone come from?
1. The flag of this country contains no more than 3 colours.
2. The majority of the citizens in this country speak Spanish.
3. This country was named after a European explorer.
4. This country has a number of active volcanoes.
5. This country has a very diverse culture. You can find influences from Europe, America, The Caribbean and Native Americans.
6. The most famous person from this country has 2 body parts that always tell the truth.
7. The capital city is very high.
8. The weather in this country is the same all the year round.
9. This country won at least one gold at the 2012 London Olympics.
10. A famous author from this country won a Nobel Prize for Literature. You should read the most famous book by this author if you are going to spend a long time alone.
I think the name of the country is Colombia!
The flag has tree colours ,yellow blue and red and Spanish is spoken in this country.
Colombia is named after his discoverer " Christopher Columbus"
Bogota is the capital city and among the third largest cities of the world. It is located in 2625 metres above the sea level.
Gabriel Gracia Marquez won the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1982 with his book "One hundred years of solitude"
Which is translated into 27 languages and has sold more than 20 mill. copies.
So I hope I could interpret your clues right.
Well done! I thought it might be too difficult. I'm very impressed Gertraud!
Do you know who the most famous Columbian person is?
Thank you, no sorry I don't know who the most famous person is. I just know Shakira and Juanes.
Please can you tell me something about it ? Thanks for this very interesting quiz , I love this way of learning a language. It is more interesting and useful than textbooks.
The most famous person from Colombia sang a song called Hips Don't Lie! Her name is Shakira! You got it again. :)
I'm glad you like this type of quiz. I'll try and add at least one of these a week. I enjoy writing them too! If you ever have any interesting quizzes or questions then please share them.
Can you tell me why the weather never changes in Columbia?
I think the weather is constant because of the geographical loction near to the Equator. Is this right? You can find everything in the world wide web :)
Hehe. I used to do that too. As a teacher I could always spot the students doing this because they'd always look up eventually to see if I was looking at them!
Well you got the answer correct. That was an educated guess! Well done. :)
The precious jewel is a green crystal. It's quite common in Columbia.
I was thinking it was Mexico or Spain but I see I really know nothing about that.... :)
Mexico was close! I'll add another one soon. Maybe you can get it next time.
Thanks Teacher Jamie!
1. The flag of this country contains no more than 3 colors.>> There are three colors-yellow, blue and red.
2. The majority of the citizens in this country speak Spanish.>> The official language is Spanish.
3. This country was named after a European explorer. >> This country was named after Christopher Columbus founded
4. This country has a number of active volcanoes. >> There are two volcanoes, Nevado del Huila and Galeras had been last eruption in 2008 and 2010 by sequence.
5. This country has a very diverse culture. You can find influences from Europe, America, The Caribbean and Native Americans. >> Because of Colombia lies at the crossroads of Latin America and the broader American continent, and as such has been hit by a wide range of cultural influences.
6. The most famous person from this country has 2 body parts that always tell the truth. >> I've no idea.
7. The capital city is very high. >> Bogota.
8. The weather in this country is the same all the year round. >> I've no idea.
9. This country won at least one gold at the 2012 London Olympics.>> Only one Gold, three Silvers and four Bronzes.
10. A famous author from this country won a Nobel Prize for Literature. You should read the most famous book by this author if you are going to spend a long time alone.>> There is only one person from this country who got the Nobel Prize for Literature, Gabriel García Márquez in 1982.
And that "precious stone" maybe the Emerald..... :)
Well done Fang! Great answers. You did really well to find out all this information. You are correct with every answer. Nice job.
The precious stone is the emerald. A very beautiful green crystal.
The weather is the same all the year round because Colombia lies on the equator.
I'll add a new quiz soon. I'll have to make the next quiz even harder! Did you find this difficult?
Thank you Teacher Jamie.... :)) I like the way to learn and practice English like this. It has challenge to find out the answer....still waiting your next quiz. hope it harder than this....hahaha
By the way, all of my answer are from searching by Google, it takes for a few time but the harder is find the information from the reliable source but not always the first list in the first page on Google. In this step take time for a while.... And something that make me assured "the precious stone" is the emerald is use this word " jewelry Colombia" for search image in Google and the result show that almost picture are emerald.
I wonder in the clue No.7 "The capital city is very high" Why Bogota is very high?